Wrocław, the historic capital of Silesia, is one of the biggest and oldest Polish cities. Vratislavia was first unambiguously mentioned as a mighty burg about the year 1000. It was then that a Polish ecclesiastical see was created there. In 1335 the city has fallen under the sway of the Czech king John of Luxembourg and broke its ties with Poland. Later Vratislav, together with the entire Poland, fell under the sway of the Hungarian monarchy, and it is from those times that the Hungarian name of the city, Boroszló, dates. Together with the Czech crown, Wrocław was incorporated in to the Habsburg monarchy and renamed to Breslau. In 1741 the entire Silesia was taken over by Prussia, and thus Wrocław was incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia, and later the German Reich, until 1945. After the Second World War Wrocław was returned to Poland.
Wrocław is full of monuments of its thousand years of history. It is best to begin visiting the town in its oldest part, or the former islands on the Odra River and its forked tributaries. The most famous of these are Ostrów Tumski and the Piasek island, a medieval residential quarter, today one of the Polish Monuments of History. Another site on this list of only 30 locations is the Centenary Hall, also honored on the UNESCO list.
On the “islands” it is hard to miss the Church of the Holy Cross and St. Bartholomew. The great medieval architect known as Magister Lapida Wilancius divided the interior of the building into two floors occupied by two separate churches.
Tours & Activities
Top things to do
The Market Square
It is the heart of Wroclaw, This place does not fall asleep. It is the greatest urban layouts of its kind in Europe. Traced in 13th century is the second main square in size in Poland. The square has an oblong shape surrounded with sixty five beautiful, antique houses. Each side of the square has its own name.
The Cathedral Island
The history of Wrocław began here. The stronghold in Ostrów Tumski id dated back to the beginning of 10th century. In 1000 a bishopric was established here. When the princes moved to the left-bank castle, Ostrów became catholic area. Tumski Bridge was a border between the areas of the bishopric and the city. There are two neo-gothic statues at the entry to the bridge. One of them is St John the Baptist, the patron of the city, the secind St Jadwiga.
The Ossolineum Library
The National Ossiliński institute, established in 1817 by Józef Maksymilian Ossoliński in Lwów, since 1946 has had its seat in a former monastic building of the Red Star Crusaders. The pride of the Ossolineum collection are: Manuscript of Adam Mickiewicz’s Pan Tadeusz, prints of Artur Grottger and Rembrandt, denar of Mieszko I, stamp of Jan Olbracht and medals of the last Jagiellons.
It was established in 1811, as a research unit of the University of Wroclaw. The plants come from natural sites and from botanical gardens all around the world. An oddity of the Garden is a geological section of a hard coal deposit, built over 140 years ago in the rockery. Imprints of pieces of extinct plants, of which the hard coal has developed during millions of years, are incorporated into the section.
The Centennial Hall
It is widely considered one of the most important works of the 20th-century architecture. Previous name – Peoples Hall, it is widely considered one of the most important works of the 20th-century architecture. It was designed by an outstanding architect, Max Berg. It was built in 1913, for the occasion of a hundredth anniversary of battle of Leipzig. This early-modernist, once the largest in the world, ferroconcrete structure has a vault 1.5 times larger than the dome of the Roman Pantheon, and the weight of the Hall is only 42% of the mass of the Pantheon.