The municipality of Kuršumlija is situated in the central part of southern Serbia, while the town of Kuršumlija is located at the confluence of the Kosanica and Banjska Rivers with the Toplica. The most important traffic route is the E-80 (Niš-Priština) motorway. Kuršumlija is 65 km away from Niš. It covers the area of 952 km² and the population of 19 213 people (according to 2011 census).
In the ancient Roman times, Kuršumlija bore the name AD FINES. In Byzantine times it was called TOPLICE and was the seat of Toplice Bishoprics. It was first mentioned in written documents in 1019. In the medieval period, between the year of 1159 and 1165, it was the first capital of Stefan Nemanja who built there his first two monasteries (Saint Nikolas and Holy Mother of God) and he coated the domes with lead which was reflecting light and therefore the place was called BELE CRKVE (White Churches). During Turkish rule, the settlement was named KURSHUMLU-KILISE, later on KURŠUMLJE, and finally, after liberation from the Turks in 1878, it retained the name KURŠUMLIJA. During the World War I, the place became known from its „Iron Regiment“ and by the Toplica Insurrection raised here in 1917.
Archeological Site of Late Antiquity basilica: This is a major historical monument from the Byzantine times, built during the reign of Tsar Justinian (527-565).It is situated near the Niš-Priština motorway, about 300m awayfrom the crossroads – the turning towards Kuršumlija.
The Monastery – Church of St. Nicolas: The St. Nikolas Monastery – Church was raised on a flat plateau (the sighseeing point) above the confluence of the River Banjska into the Toplica , by ruler Nemanja who dedicated it to his son Sava, who blessed the first devotee in it, after the Serbian Orthodox Church was awardeds autocephality in 1219. It used to be a spacious Monastery complex and the seat of Toplice Bishoprics abnd Archbishoprics According to its architevtural style, St. Nicholas is considered a prototype of the Raška School of architecture. The Church was left in ruins after the Austro-Turkish wars (1668-1690). The Church has been restored, while plans are being developed to have the Monastery fully renewed. The remains of the Mother of God Monastery: The remains are situated at the confluence of the Kosanica and the Toplica, 800m downstream of St. Nicholas Church. It was dedicated by the Ruler Nemanja to his wife Ann who used to govern the Monastery for a time. In Turkish times, there were quarters of Sultana Mara, the wife of Sultan Murat II, and daughter of Serbian Prince Djuradj Brankovic.She also took care of the Monastery for a time. This Monastery was ruined at the same tame as the St. Nicholas. The Church building.
Town Centre as the ambiance entity: This is the oldest portion of the town with the Town Park and in its centre there is a monument dedicated to the freedom fighters in the 1876/78 liberation wars, the monument raised in honor of writer Milutin Uskoković, and the monument to the victims of 1990-2000 wars and NATO aggression. In the vicinity, there is the Holy Trinity Church built in 1902, with a beautiful interior and iconostasis. The town's Old Hotel „Evropa“, was raised in 1892, and it is widely known by the fact that it was here that Branislav Nušić wrote his famous „Suspect Character“ comedy.
There are other places in the town of cultural and historical value, such as: Memorial Monument to partisans killed in the World War II, the monument dedicated to Drinka Pavlović – the national heroine, Memorial Plaque to Theodor William Melgard (1888-1920) a Danish doctor and volunteer in Serbian Army during WWI. Among numerous monuments at other places of the municipality, there are: the Church of St. Mina in the village od Štava, and St. George Church in Prolom Spa, and the Monument dedicated to the 17th Serbian Brigade, also in Prolom Spa.
In the south of Serbia, there is a preserved oasis of nature with soft, grassy plateaus, rounded hills and volcanic cones below which there are springs of hot, healing mineral waters, surrounded by clear mountain rivers merging one into another and flowing down steep mountain slopes seeking Kuršumlija. „The Devil's Town“: This is a natural monument of major importance, put under the first-degree of protection. It is a unique occurrence in our country and very rare anywhere else. It is 27 km to the south-east of Kuršumlija, in the village of Djake. Two very rare phenomena have occurred here: figures made of soil as specific forms of the relief, that look very attractive in the given space, accompanied by two wells of very sour-tasting waters with high mineralization. There are also remains of a church there, and several mining pits that used to be exploited by medieval miners.
Lukovska Spa is a spa place, treatment centre, convalescence and tourist centre in the southeast area of Kopaonik, at northwest part of municipality Kuršumlija. Centre of the spa is located at 681 m above sea level (the highest spa in Serbia) and it is known to have the largest number of springs (37) and exceptionally large wuantity of more than 100 l/s of hot (69 ºC) mineral waters. Lukovska Spa is located 36 km away from Kuršumlija. Not far away from the spa, there is a ski lift and ski run for recreation skiing. Kuršumlijska Spa is one of the spas with the most glorious past, known for its various curative springs with warm mineral waters and especially mineral muds. The spa is located in the south-west of Kuršumlija, at the distance of 11 km away. Kuršumlijska Spa disposes of five groups of hot (25-68 ºC) and mineral waters which are classified, pursuant to their balneology characteristics, as one of several the most appreciated in the Europe (carbon-acidic, sulfuric, mineral, hydro-carbonic of sodium type, lithium and fluoric thermal waters).
Prolom Spa – This Spa is 22 km away from Kuršumlija to the south-east, on the slopes of the Radan Mountain. Primarily, it is famous for its healing Prolom Water which belongs to a rare group of waters with high balneological values, such as high alkalinity (pH 8.8-9.2), low mineralization (dry residue 148 mg/l) and bicarbonate. Radan hotel complex encompasses accommodation in comfortable rooms, modern medical and Wellness treatments, recreational and entertainment content, as well as excursions. Hotel Radan has 212 rooms and apartments in two facilities.