The history of the Volcano Lemptegy began 30 000 years ago…
Welcome to the Volcano of Lemptégy, one of the major natural site that has contributed for the application of UNESCO. Since July 2nd the Volcano of Lemptégy belongs to « The High tectonic area – Chaine des Puys – Faille de Limagne » UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE.
The exploitation of Lemptegy began in 1945. Its pozzolans has served for instance, to help the reconstruction of destroyed cities of northern France and new roads…
Since the late 1970s, the site is protected and the extraction was done in a reasoned manner and in a logic of preservation. Scientists began to study it as a « case study » and a « research laboratory » to better understand how a volcano works from the inside. We are still working today with geologists, and many people from all around the world who are interested in volcanism. Researches are made to discover what Lemptegy is hiding. For example, the observations of Lemptegy has served for comparation with the probe « Messenger » on Mercure exploration.
Since 1992, the site is open for all publics (groups, families, friends, scientist or not). You can visit the inside of the volcano next to our passionates guides. They will drive you until the heart of the Volcano either by foot or by train, with concret and easy explanations. During the 2.30 hours visit, you will also appreciate the two dynamics attractions (4D Cinema, Exploding mine) and finally an exhibition room.
Good to know:
Traduction available (English, German, Italian, Netherlands, Spanish)
- Open from February to November
- Audio traduction on one of our two trains (call us to check the departure)
- Audio traduction on foot visit and for the attraction 4D Cinema
- Dogs allowed (only for the foot visit)
- Regional restaurant and souvenirs shop on site
- Easy access for low mobility persons
- Attractions are forbidden under 4 years old
- Possibility of reduced pass price with an other touristic site « Cavern of Volvic Stone »
- Reduction for groups (from 30 persons)
Contact section :
You can book online on our new website: www.auvergne-volcan.com
Or by phone at 04.73.62.23.25 until the day before or at the entrance directly (subject to availability of places)
Adress : 31, Route des Puys – 63230 – Saint Ours Les Roches